Sunday, June 26, 2011

Incorporating PowerPix

So, my students had mastered the 5 classroom rules, were loving the scoreboard (especially when they won), and seemed to be totally on board.  I was still learning about Whole Brain Teaching myself, so the best key to my learning was the website.  I found the eBooks to be especially helpful, the PowerPix were awesome, and the forum was there to answer questions.  I didn't start posting on the forum until January, but I was still able to get some great ideas from others who had posted.

Since I was still learning myself, I decided that I would pick out a couple of different PowerPix to incorporate into my teaching.  I really liked the Nouns PowerPix, and thought that it would be a great place to start with my students, since that is a review skill.  So, I familiarized myself with it, and jumped right in.  They loved it!  They got to move, talk, teach, and thump on their desks for the "thing" in "a noun is a person, place, or thing!"  I was ecstatic.  Of course, what made it even better was when I asked them what a noun was during our shared reading lesson, they could tell me, show me, and then identify nouns in our reading!  Wow! 

My class was active, engaged, and loving learning!  I was having the most fun teaching that I had ever had in my 6 years!  I wasn't coming home frustrated about my day, because I really had very little discipline to deal with.  The scoreboard was taking care of pretty much all of the discipline problems!

So, what about math!?  We were working on place value, and low and behold there are PowerPix for place value.  That was going to be my next step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment